August 22, 2012

To all the fathers out there

(First published online on June 16, 2008)

It was late in the afternoon when he called up home and asked us to meet him at the plaza for he would treat us. My sister and I immediately dressed up and went to meet him. At the plaza, he ordered us some pizza while he ate shawarma. By then, I realized how fortunate we were for we had somebody who can devote special time for us even if he had a busy schedule.

He was a supervisor then at a Japanese Restaurant in Manila Hotel. And I always remembered during my early days when he would bring me to the hotel at tour me around at different restaurants where I can eat as many clubhouse sandwiches as I can. But by 1996, he resigned and from that point, changes begin to enter in our lives.

He didn’t look for any other jobs and all he had to do was to drink liquors almost every day. I’ve seen him at his worst when he and my mother had a quarrel over small things that he threw anything that he held. But when he was diagnosed with diabetes, he turned to a good husband though he really couldn’t let go of his only vice.

He was more of a disciplinarian and of a strict father. I was always beaten up for every mistake that I did. Even small wrong acts would make him so angry that he would hit me immediately. For that reason, I almost hated him.

April of 2004, he died of liver cancer and other complications. I can still recall the very moment when the doctor declared that he passed away. I didn’t want to cry that time for I remember all those times when he was beating me up. But when the nurses started to cover his body, I couldn’t help but cry. I just held his cold hands thinking of all the wonderful memories that we’ve had in the past. Tears just fell from my eyes for I realized that those moments wouldn’t replace the times when he was hitting my body and I realized that he was just doing those things for he wanted me to learn. From that point, I just firmly held his hand while I cried loudly beside him.

Now, four years of not being with him, I can still remember how he molds my personality. Parts of my attitude came from him and just like him, I learn to look and care for myself.  I would forever cherish all the moments that we’ve shared in the past.

While I gaze upon the sky, I always think that you are in one those million stars that continues to look, light and guide my path and for that reason, I wouldn’t forget to greet you on this special day: Happy Father’s Day and thank you for everything.

P.S. Happy Father’s Day also to the daddies out there who are always known to be the head of the family, and a man of responsibility and commitment towards the fulfillment of his obligation. They were also the heroes that resemble to an armored being who will fight for the sake of his family. Whatever we call him, he will always be one of the reasons why we live on this earth.

Salute to all the brave Fathers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment