August 22, 2012

Escapism

(First published online on May 22, 2008)

Our lives are full of difficulties and hardships that enhance our capability for survival. I once remembered my friend telling me that our world is like a large forest surrounded by wild animals and in order to survive, we must battle this dangerous animals.

But we don’t have to fight all the time for we must sometimes sit back and relax. Literally speaking, there are times that we can escape from life's hardships and surrender our weapon. But always be sure that when you come back, you are far greater than the last time you stand up and fight.

Sleep, for others, is a form of rest. It is a routine, refreshment, quiet moment for the mind & body, or perhaps, a hobby. But psychologists tell us that it is one of the most common forms of escape. Escape from life's loneliness, sadness, frustrations, rejections and from almost any possible problem.

There are other kinds of escape. As for me, I find watching movies as a great escape from the reality of life. I like the animated films and science fiction movies which drive me away from what is happening around me.

Sometimes, by watching a two and a half hour movie can relieve all your stress in the body. Now, by doing those things, you are actually not escaping from the reality but you are only pausing a moment of your life to think of a brighter solution to your problem.

Trivia about me: do you know that I really like the novel Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling and I follow its series of movies. I am fond of reading the novel again and again and I've watched the films almost ten times up to the point that I had already memorized every line in the movie.

What's amazing is that every time I'm troubled or every time I'm stressed or having problems, I just watch the films from its first installment up to the last and I easily think of a solution to my problems. Just like magic and after having a movie marathon, it's like everything has been back to its proper places.

I believe that maybe one time in your life, you also had the same experience but maybe not in watching the HP series but in other incidents. It is escapism and it is just a realization of a better way in answering your questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment