August 22, 2012

New morning on the planet earth


(First published online on December 19, 2008)

December 13, 2008, Saturday, I arrived at home nearly 10pm, exhausted from the busy week that I’ve had. Three days before, we had a radio production, recording a 25-minute news and commentary program. I happened to be one of the voice talents being an animated character during the commentary segment. But because our group was trimmed to a fewer members, I also acted as a track arranger of the different music and sound effects that we used in the production. During the recording, I unleashed to the public ability to speak of two voices; my normal one and the voice of an old man. I was successful though there were moments when I could no longer breathe. Then, just yesterday, Dec. 12, 2008, we had our first television production where I worked as a scriptwriter and technical director. For our TV production, I was still in control of the audio, and before our taping; I almost acted as one of the production assistants who bought the props for the said recording. We had good remarks for our first TV production, but for the radio, well, let’s not talk about it.

Now, after arriving at home, my mom immediately informed me that my sister was brought to the Manila Doctors Hospital because she was not feeling well. That time, she was pregnant to her first baby and after finding out, we immediately rushed to the waiting area in the delivery room of the hospital.

We arrived there at 11 o’clock in the evening and waited for updates that will be given by their resident doctors. Waiting ahead of us were my sister’s husband and his mother.

As the date changed from 13 to 14, we were the only relatives left at the waiting area. While waiting for the arrival of my sister’s first child, I noticed the different health workers passing back and forth, coming in and out of the elevator proceeding to the delivery room. Since I was highly anticipating for the birth of the baby, I kept awake and just read the book which I borrowed from a friend. By 3 o’clock in the morning, the coast was clear within the waiting area and just not to fall asleep, I went first to the nearby Mcdo and took out some snacks and immediately I got back to the hospital. They had already fallen asleep on their seats but still, the baby hadn’t come yet. Updates from the doctor said that the labor would even take three more hours.

Since I could no longer help it, I suddenly took a nap. By 5 o’clock, we all woke up to the chilly morning due to another update from the doctor, saying that my sister would have to be operated through cesarean since her pelvic bone was no longer moving or enlarging  perhaps. Not doing the operation could only lead to a bigger problem so her husband stood a decision to pursue the operation.

According to the doctor, the operation would take another hour so after the tough decision making, we had to wait again. My sister that time was having an asthma and fever so we couldn’t be relaxed anymore.

After 30 minutes, one of the attending physicians, came out and told us the good news. He signed with thumbs up and shouted, “okay na, lalaki anak niya”. Suddenly, all the tired looks from our faces turned into smiles for the six hours of waiting was not a waste at all, it’s all worth it.

My sister who turned from a cute little girl, to a finer lady, to a beautiful wife is now a strong mother who never gave up till the final stitch.

The child’s name is John Enzo V. Espiritu and by exactly, 5:38am, his first cry was heard. Another 30 minutes, we were all called up to see how the baby looks. A very cute baby boy turned up and all of us who were first tired were now excited at the baby. All of them posed for a camera shot with the baby. I got my phone to camera mode, formatted my memory card, and took also my shots to be uploaded at the net. We could never really contain our excitement but according to the doctor, we still had to wait for 5 more hours before we could see my sister.

After seeing the healthy baby, I immediately texted some of my other relatives to inform them of the good news. I also texted some of my friends because of excitement over my first nephew.

After two hours of waiting, we could never really help it for we were too sleepy we first got the assurance that the mother and baby were both okay before we left to go home and took a rest first.

Arriving at home, I was still excited for the baby so I boasted to my aunt and nieces the pictures of baby Enzo. After doing so, I immediately rushed to my room and finally slept.

I woke up by 3 o’clock in the afternoon and prepared to attend the Sunday Holy Mass at a nearby church. While preparing, I could still vividly recall the arrival of my nephew during that dawn.

Truly, it was one of the unforgettable moments in my life. Welcome to the planet Earth Baby Enzo.

No comments:

Post a Comment