September 14, 2012

Social Networking Sites

(First published online on May 11, 2012)

5:53pm

“I don’t know why I didn’t come.” – Norah Jones
Okay, this post has nothing to do with the above line. I just like the song and don’t ask why.
“End of story. Goodbye. The end.” – Prof. Alastor Moody

***


It has been almost ten months since I last visited my Facebook account. For the past time, I realized how the said social networking site suddenly became part of the daily lives of every Filipino. Since I deactivated my account, I even came to a point when people tried to look at me as if I was a big sinner for not having an activated account while the rest of the world was enjoying all the benefits that it has been giving.


Yeah, I also experienced all of them and I won’t say that Facebook never really helped me in being able to connect again with my previous schoolmates and workmates. I enjoyed Facebook as much as everyone. I hadn’t experienced being hacked and this world seemed like a smaller place because you could easily reach out to anyone, even those who were on the other side of the globe, and interact with them as if they were just on your side. This has been the beauty of Internet and social networking websites that bombard the virtual world.

Now, my decision to leave Facebook was more of a personal reason. I’m not saying that I will forever not log in again to the famed website, though it could be a possibility. As of the moment, I am still being overwhelmed by the nature of friendship that is being offered way beyond the said social networking sites; where people would reach out to you not because you’re online but because they really need or miss you; where people would greet you because they are updated with you and they really know the special occasions that you celebrate and not because they see it while scanning their homepage.

I don’t hate Facebook. It’s the hypocrite people who are still in Facebook, which I abhor. Though my hate is only part of the total reason why I left, I don’t really want to offend others and it would only be fitting that I just leave instead of committing sins against those people who I once considered as friends.

***

6:38pm

No comments:

Post a Comment