September 12, 2012

Address of Gratitude

(First published online on April 1, 2010)

Four years ago, I entered Adamson University and like so many others, I also dreamt of excelling in a class. I took the course Mass Communication and as the expression goes, first impression lasts; I made it a point that they would also believe in and with me. As I introduced myself, my first blockmates could remember, I stood up in front of them and uttered my first words in pure Filipino. “Isang mapagpalang hapon mula sa inyong kaibigang ngayo’y nakatanghod sa inyong harap upang magpakilala.” Everyone laughed and I say that they were also shocked. Everyone creatively executed their introduction but it was only me who did it in Filipino. Our then professor told me that as a MassComm student, I must do it in English so I blurted out my words again and told something about myself in the foreign tongue. This time, I can say that they were also amazed and at that point, I thought that I successfully made an effect on them. Years passed by and as we had our professional subjects, I became more eager to demonstrate what I can do for the betterment of our requirements. With my blockmates and friends, I survived.

Now that I am at the point of introducing myself in the so-called “professional world”, I’m proud to say that without Adamson University, I would also be afraid like others. In this University who served as my home for the past four years, I have learned the true meaning of life. It is your attitude and your collaboration with others that will help you survive. Books and cleverness are second important and what matters most is camaraderie and courage to stand for what you believe in. You can be the most intelligent student or richest child but it is still the one who has a good heart who will excel. To win friends is far better than gaining enemies. That is what you must expect in the professional world and that is the most important lesson that I have learned inside the campus of AdU.

With the new outlook in life, I offer this to those who molded this new personality in me. First, to my family who is amongst the reasons why I wishes to be recognized. Everything that I have is dedicated for them for all the efforts that they did just to support my education. There were times that we would have disagreements but at the end of the day, they would still accept me and for that, it is only fitting that my biggest medal be awarded to them. Thanks.

Secondly, to the University, its administrators and staff who warmly welcomed and entertained me during those pivotal moments of my academic life. To my professors and advisers whose knowledge was imparted to me without a taint of personal grudge or biases just to help me in becoming a successful individual. I would like to name all them but space and time would not permit me though I’m dedicating this to all of them whom I call ma’am and sir. Thanks.

To my course-mates, block-mates, and friends, you know who you are. Thanks for everything including all the laughter and tears that we’ve had, the countless stories that we’ve shared and precious memories that we gained. Thanks.

Of course, to the sole institution that highly changed my personality to what I am today, The Adamson Chronicle. My academic life would be as plain and boring as you could imagine without this institution and the people behind it. Thank you so much for helping me to believe in what I can be. Thank you so much for extending an arm everytime I’m in need. To Ma’am Arlene, for all the guidance; to my co-editors and co-staffers, for all the knowledge and experiences that you’ve shared; and to my bestfriends, for the feeling of a family that I only felt inside the organization, Thank you so much. In this organization, I learned the value of life and camaraderie and for that, I’ll forever be grateful.

Most importantly, to our God Almighty who stands as my protector and savior in the entirety of my life. Thank you Lord for all the blessings and I also offer this blessings to you. Thank you for standing as my companion during those hard times. Thank you that you have never left me and for the coming years, I will continuously be thankful to you.

This is just the beginning of our long journey towards life. To my co-graduates of batch 2010, it is our decisions that will shape us in the coming years. What you’ll be is a product of your wise planning and as you step into the professional world, it is you alone and your efforts to relate with others that will help you survive.

The University served as our training grounds and as we become prepared, we will launch ourselves and act in a professional manner. May we be the standard in our fields and as they reach for us, may we be outstanding in everything we do.

Just remember, the falcon has flown and it is up to us to lead it in a good direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment