September 14, 2012

Give me another chance

(First published online on August 31, 2010)

Author's Note: This is my short tribute to my motherland that is facing one of its greatest trials against the international community. This is also to commemorate the 9th day of the death of the eight tourists who became part of the collateral damage of the hostage-taker's rebellious fight for injustice. I hope that anger subsides and let the rule of God prevail.

For every day that our good Lord creates, I suffer from the silent discrimination from a lot of people. Most of them vehemently step on my very personality but neither did I speak or do any action of retaliation. I just silently accept whatever they throw on me.

Inside me, there are a lot of things going on. People usually see me as the corrupt one, the stinky one, the one to avoid and others even think that I take care of the terrorist therefore I am a terrorist too.

I only want to say that they are wrong.

I am not perfect but I never let my imperfections hinder what I want to achieve. I commit mistakes but I always look at them as another challenge that I have to face and triumphantly get over with. There are more to me than what you here from the shameless few out there who have nothing to do but ruin my image.

Based from what you saw or heard, maybe you are already afraid of me but I reiterate, I commit mistakes although I assure you that I didn't mean to do it. Please, give me another chance.

I'm just like the others who know how to draw the line between what is right and wrong. I am also known for being a religious one. My hospitality is what others easily tag on me. I am home to many beautiful sceneries and my qualities are also admired.

That's the other side of me. Just like them, I have a negative mark though it is not as evil as what the others have. I am simple, emotional, and most of the time, optimistic. I usually laugh all my troubles away and I don't care if they call me crazy for what's important is that I'm willing to bravely face all the risks in a cool-headed manner.

One time in my life, I also led a peaceful revolution that inspired others to follow my footsteps. I shout to fight for democracy but tranquility will never be removed in my personality. Before you saw the mistake that I committed, if you would remember, I had no enemy and I relate with the others as close as possible. I accepted the faults of others and I wish that you can give me another chance as well.

That's all I ask from you since love is what we need, not rivalry. I completely understand your sentiments and I'm not saying that you are obliged to befriend me immediately. What I want is for you to forgive me and look at me in another perspective. Slowly, turn yourself to me once again and embrace me. Let time heal the wounds and together, let's face a brighter tomorrow.

I earnestly wish for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment