January 29, 2013

Viet Nam Fiasco

One thing good probably about me is that I can write. I just wish that this would also go viral, just like the  other infamous video clips.

Subject of this article is: I don’t know which one will I shoot? I don’t know if the problem is with the Cebu Pacific airlines or the Viet Nam International Airport.

Here’s my story:

I arrived at the gloomy Tan Son Nhat International Airport in Vietnam around 8:00pm or about four hours before my 1:00am flight back to Manila. Immediately, I looked at the many monitors situated in airport to check the status of my trip, which bore the number 5J752. Unlike the other flight status, the CebuPac flight still didn't have any remarks.


Since it was still four hours, I didn’t actually mind. I just sat at one of the many benches, looking at the people passing by, mostly Chinese and Korean taking the most out of the moment, while they were still in Vietnam.

As for me, I just let time pass. After an hour, many planes had already departed and many check-in counters had opened but Flight 5J752 remained the same—without any remarks.

So I ate first my dinner. Since it was Thanksgiving Week in the United States, I treated myself a pizza and a bottle of Sprite. I am not a spender and I take very good care of my money just to make sure that I will not beg. That time, I also enjoyed the free wi-fi services offered by the food chain where I ate.

Thirty minutes before midnight and still, nothing had happened at the status of my flight. I also never heard anything about the checking-in operation of my supposed airline. Usually, passengers are informed about the status of their flight, whether it is the last call for check-in or the last call for boarding, before the plane gets on its way. But Flight 5J752 remained in its stationery phase.

An hour before my flight, I checked the counters since its becoming unusual that they were not yet receiving any passengers. At the counter H, where I was supposed to check-in, there were no lines, no Filipinos, no travelers to Manila, nor any Cebu Pacific airline staff. Nothing was happening at the counter H. Overseeing the counters, I sat for a while until alas, I finally board the Cebu Pacific.

“Cebu Pacific Flight 5J751, bound from Manila has just arrived.”

Thinking that my flight might be delayed a little since the plane had just arrived, I felt a little calmer while putting in to mind that maybe, they would open the counter in a while. But here was where my dilemma and probably one of the most unforgettable moments of my life started.

It all happened too fast and the next thing that I knew was that I was already running and shouting at almost all of the people that I met. The International Airport probably didn’t accommodate air traffic during the wee hours starting from 2am to 5am so when I did my commotion, I was like acting from a film with all the lightings on, but only few people were witnessing the event.

From no remarks, the flight status on the monitor suddenly changed to last call for boarding. In short, I failed to check in. I remember when I was still in Manila how CebuPac airline staff would go to different areas of NAIA declaring to all the passengers in the terminal about the last call for check-in.

It never happened to me so this was truly memorable.

I called the attention of all the remaining airport staff but unfortunately, nobody could seem or would seem to help me. They couldn’t stop the plane and nobody could check me in. Until my flight schedule passed by and for the first time in my entire life, I felt so helpless. What’s more disturbing was that it happened while I was not in my hometown.

Through the help of an airport officer, I managed to call a travel agency operating with Cebu Pacific airlines in Ho Chi Minh City. But still, the Vietnamese guy over the phone couldn’t help me as well. Without me knowing it, the plane had already departed and I was left at the airport, alone, except of course the security officers.

I had confirmed that there was something wrong with the flight monitor that I was seeing. It might probably be destiny playing its thing on me and I was pushed to the limits, seriously.

When I filed my vacation leave, all I ever asked for was to enjoy the moment and seize it since I would be more concentrated to work when I get back. All I wanted was to feel some relaxation and once again observe the entire extent of nature as it unfolds in my very eyes.

More than anything else and actually the real reason for all my backpacking experiences was that I wanted to be a role model to everyone, by managing to travel the entire world, satisfyingly without spending too much. I traveled and did that with my trip to Bangkok, Ilocos Sur, Quezon, Cebu, Bohol and Davao. This time, I came to Saigon, Vietnam and traveled by land to Phnom Penh and Siem Reap in Cambodia.

I usually travel in a light budget because I want to explore and see for myself the world and the real evidence of how beautiful this earth is. But what happened to me in Ho Chi Minh was by far, truly unforgettable. Due to some stupid negative chain of events, I unfortunately let go of my big savings, which was somehow equivalent to buying a truly high-end gadget. I had no choice and I just had to consider it as a pill, which was too bitter to taste.

I had to buy a Philippine airlines ticket and it being the national flag carrier, it really cost me so-so-so much money.

I enjoyed my Vietnam-Cambodia trip but this recent bad occurrence really ripped off my heart that I wanted to cry but couldn’t since I needed to be strong while I was in the foreign land.

I didn’t really say this rich mantra but just this once to erase my worries, I wanted to assume that it was just money and in time, I would manage to get it back.

I just have to make more right decisions next time to be certain that this would never happen again. After this, may I still enjoy my other future trips from the airline Cebu Pacific.


Postscript
This article was written while I was alone waiting for the morning to break inside the Tan Son Nhat International Airport in Vietnam. Good thing that I arrived back to Manila after lunch on the same day of my supposed flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment